Wednesday, August 14, 2013

"FIRE" -Email 05/12/2013

Obsessed. I am obsessed with the work. I didn't sleep all night last night because I couldn't stop thinking about our investigators and the miracles we see and I was all excited and anxious about being the best instrument in the Lord's hands I could be so that the new family we found can accept with full hearts the truth of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I LOVE it!!!
Little Kenny, the swimmer, was baptized by fire yesterday... or in other words he received the gift of the Holy Ghost. He was given the gift, or confirmed, right after his older sister, Diana. He came running into the chapel last minute... he was off doing who knows what haha. But the cool part was that as he ran off the stage, he slid in to sit by his older sister and said, "Did you feel that?"
 
The power of the Holy Ghost is real. He felt it as he received it! When I heard that comment from him I remembered the feeling I had when I received the Gift of the Holy Ghost... a sort of warm surge from my head to my toes. And 8 year old doesn't just make something like that up, especially since we didn't tell him what it would feel like.
 
Soooo miracle for the week. We were doing some finding, by looking up former investigators. There was one named Maykol, 31 years old, and we decided to try him. We knocked once, last week, and a man came to the door that wasn't interested in the gospel but said that, yes, Maykol did live there and we should come back Monday to find him. We came back this past Monday and a 20ish girl opened the door. She explained that Maykol wasn't there, but I recall a strong thought come to mind that I needed to testify about eternal families to her. As we testified of that, her eyes got big. She listened, and I remember seeing in her face the desire to learn more. We offered her a mormon.org card, because she was only here on vacation from California, and asked her to request missionaries to come to her house there. She promised us she would. And I believe her.
 
We showed up again Thursday, SOAKING wet. SOAKING. It was walking day and we had just finished walking 4 miles or so to get to our appointment, through a giant rain storm. As we knock on the door, I felt like shrinking into a corner. I was embarrassed :( We were dripping water all up and down the hallway and let's face it, we both looked like wet rats. But a man opened the door, a really smiley, nice Dominican. He invited us in and introduced us to Maykol... a 12 year old boy that looked horrified that these two crazy ladies in long skirts were looking for him and saying that their friends had taught him before.
 
I would have been horrified too.
 
After they offered us a towel, we testified simply about the message that we brought and found out that they are devout catholics. We asked to set an appointment for Sunday evening, when we could come in and share a nice (dry) message with them.
 
Sunday came. We and the first counselor in our Branch Presidency knocked again on Maykol's door. Wilton, the Dominican, opened up. Heberth, our team up, was immediately friends with him and his wife and they had a good chat. Then we began the lesson. The Spirit was so strong. This man spoke of feeling like the Bible couldn't possibly contain all of the miracles that Jesus performed, and how he knew that as we make mistakes the only way to be healed of the feelings of guilt and shame comes through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. He testified to us as we taught that he knew he could get his own answer from God, because he had received answers in the past and he knew he could rely on him to tell him what was right. As he held his baby boy, he spoke of family and how it was the most important thing to him, above any other 'thing' on this earth. Heberth testified of eternal families.
 
We taught about authority, and about the pattern throughout history of that authority being restored through prophets called of God. And then we came to the story of Joseph Smith. I had the honor of teaching that part of the lesson. I cannot deny the spirit that I feel whenever I quote the First Vision to people, no matter their reaction. But as I quotes Joseph Smith, speaking of his interaction with God the Father and his Son, this man's eyes grew big. His wife forgot about the baby that she was holding. There was silence in the room as I prayed that they could see in my own eyes the testimony I have that this is a true story. I finished the story, and there was silence. All that was said by Wilton was, "That's a beautiful story." We testified that God called a prophet again on that day in 1820, and that the authority of God was restored to the Earth, just as God had done in a pattern since the beginning of the world.
 
We explained the Book of Mormon, and read a passage in 3 Nephi where Christ takes the little ones of the Native Americans and blesses them with such tenderness. Heberth began to cry as he read about our Saviors love for the meek and lowly.
 
And Wilton and his wife promised to read, and to watch the movie we left them with.
 
All throughout this lesson, Laura, the girl we had met earlier that week, was bustling around doing things for her baby. However, she forgot what she was doing 3 times as she stared at us, listening to the words we said.
 
There are prepared people. These people so readily accepted our first lesson, the first message. I have been praying all week that God would guide us to those who thirsted for a truth that they hadn't yet been able to find, and He did.
 
We have an appointment with Wilton and his family this Thursday. I am so honored to be able to teach them again.
 
I know that this gospel is the restored gospel of Jesus Christ on the Earth. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, the same as Moses or Adam was. I know because I asked God. I know because I have read the Book of Mormon, and I know that it testifies of Christ. I am so grateful to be a missionary- I would choose to be nowhere else right now. I love the Lord, and I love this work.
 
Love
Hermana Millward
 

My food... it was looking at me. Mreh. And the lady who cooked it promptly took my plate back from me, tore off the fish's head, and ate it's eyeball! Hondurians.
Us riding the train home from Madison on Thursday after the rainstorm- Heberth wouldn't let us walk again while we were so wet.
Hermana Orton and I after our 3rd dinner appointment yesterday. Sundays are rough... really though.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment