Tuesday, July 30, 2013

"Change" -Email 07/29/2013

Here I am, at the beginning of another transfer. I am in the same area, Morristown Driving Spanish, but I have a new companion, Sister Orton. She comes from American Fork High School. Guess who she knows? Well, besides EVERYONE in our mission from high school, my good friends Haylie and Janene from college :) How's that for ridiculous?!
As Heavenly Father has placed another big change in my life, I have had some time to reflect on what the past 12 weeks were like for me. They were very difficult; I have to admit that it was not uncommon for me to feel like I was struggling to keep a smile on my face, or open my mouth to let out a laugh. Weird, right?! I have always found laughing to be one thing that comes easily to me. But I have learned so much about myself and what the challenge of training meant to me as a daughter of God just by being with another companion.
Sister Orton is INCREDIBLE! She is so obedient, and kind. She is quiet, but not awkward (thank goodness, because I am NEVER awkward). She accepts people just as they are and she is calm enough to listen to the Spirit and say just what needs to be said to our investigators and to her companion. I feel like I am pushed to be a better person, but not expected to be anyone other than myself when I am with her.
And can I just say that we have two baptisms this coming week?! We are so thrilled for these two little cuties! They are the children and grandchildren of inactive members, who have just recently started coming back into activity. They are 11, Diana, and 8, Kenny, and they couldn't be more excited to get dunked (in a sacred way) on Sunday! We will be visiting with them every day this week to help prepare them for their baptism Sunday afternoon.
This week we went out to Liberty Island again to help with family history. Loved it! Let's face it: I'm in the best mission in the world. Not even the New York missionaries get to work on Liberty Island and help people find the gateway to their past on the island where so many entered the land of the free! I love this mission.
We have a big fat week full of set appointments and lots of walking! Yes, it's the end of the month and we are out of miles. But we're focusing on the fact that we are neighbors with the Assistants and they gave us more miles for the month due to the fact that we are their best friends and give them all of our left over hispanic food that people load on us :) So really we aren't walking as much as we thought we would be! This week is going to be amazing, even better than last week. I wake up in the morning excited for what the day holds, the spiritual experiences that I have the opportunity to be part of, and thrilled at the fact that this work is moving forward! Our Relief Society President is stepping up to the plate and finally learned my name without looking at my badge, also, so we are getting places!
I love the work. Keep up your happy attitudes. If you need something to make you happy, go for a run and eat a sno cone for me :) Love you all.
Love
Sister Millward
 
Me with all of the CUTIE little kiddies in our branch! I love them! You don't know adorable until you hear a little kid speak spanish.
Doing a cook-off with one of the Elders investigators. Elder Wilcox (in the apron) makes some mean crepes!

Sister Orton and I on Liberty Island during our lunch break. Did you know that Lady Liberty has a super ugly hair style? Neither did we.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment