Thursday, July 4, 2013

"The One" -Email 07/01/2013

> This week I hit 5 months... What?! I know. You all thought I'd only been gone a couple of weeks. Heh.
> Last week of the month means super low miles left over for driving. The last week of June, 2013 means that there is a member in a hospital 10 miles away who is dying and in need of lots of missionary visits. Since all we had was about 100 miles for the whole week, and we had to drive up to Dover a few times, the rest of the week we walked.
> Stop laughing, I know you're all thinking, "Isn't that what missionaries do?" Not this sister missionary, not yet! And we were lucky to have sick high temperatures and tons of humidity! And we are supposed to look nice and keep our stinkin hair and makeup professional! Oh dear the pressures of being a sister missionary ;) We. Walked. So. Much. Our area isn't small either, so it meant because of the spread out houses that we would have to walk for an hour or more between each appointment, and then the appointment would juke, or not be there. I'm not complaining. I'm just saying... it's been a week of walking. And all so that we could visit the one, our member up in Dover.
> Her name, the sister in the hospital in Dover, is Hermana Viveros. She has had a long death, if that's the way to say it. Her health has been declining for over 2 years now. We were able to visit three times this week, the last one being Sunday just 2 hours before she passed away. As we walked this week my motivation was to be able to visit her, and help her husband as he went through this difficult time.
> We had an all mission conference on Wednesday. Daddy would be proud of his little boy out here in New Jersey, I couldn't help but play football with all of the Elders and I think it took some people by surprise. I just got annoyed when the stinkin Elder across the line wouldn't block me though, so I sort of on accident elbowed him in the face as I shoved him out of the way. It's okay, we're still friends. Also during the all mission conference each zone performed a skit. Ours was called, "Elders can be Sisters" a reference to the Harvard Sailing Team "Boys can be Girls." It was hilarious because all of the Elders acted out stereotypical moments in Sister's days and vice versa. The most hilarious part was when, after the sisters getting slammed with being super over emotional and always wanting to sing a hymn and hug people, my companion and I were able to demonstrate Elder's teaching. We did an abridged version of German and the Law of Chastity lesson from "The Distrtict" training videos all missionaries watch 309476 times... hahaha it had everyone laughing!
> Neena found her grandmother's name for baptism and we will be going to the Manhattan temple this week to do the baptism for her! We are so excited to go to the temple with Neena for her first time!
> The work moves forward. I have learned to stand firm in my testimony and my knowledge that the Lord is pleased with what I am doing, even though sometimes it feels like not much is happening. My companion and I are growing and learning together. And the kind people of New Jersey continue to take care of us, sometimes even stopping their cars to give us full bottles of cayenne pepper to keep the dogs off when they bite us. Lucky us!
> Love you all, Love the Lord.

> Hermana Millward

> We get to go work on Liberty Island now! It has been fixed up after the hurricane and will be opened July 4. We, as sisters, get to go about once a month and do service on the Statue of Liberty Island! Love it. Plus, it means I get to drive through my old area :) Love Jersey City.

No comments:

Post a Comment