Tuesday, July 30, 2013

"WOW, thanks for the samples!!!" -Email 07/22/2013

That's what our 8 year old investigator, Kenny, said when the sacrament bread was passed to him yesterday during church. Needless to say... we'll have to teach him what the sacrament means.
To sum up our week in a couple of words: food, marriage, futbol. We had SO many dinners this week it was ridiculous! One night, we had two. No big deal, even though you always take seconds so that the people know you love them. Another night, we had 4. That was a big deal. We had a rough time planning when we got home that night, because hispanic food is so heavy, and every person we ate with gave us HUGE portions of meat, tortillas (7!), and rice and beans. Man it was awful. And the worst part is, you wake up with the nasty feeling in your tummy the next morning, like you ate rocks or something. These people are just so generous! Sometimes I think it would be nice if they were a little less generous... :)
Marriage... we met several men who were family of our investigators who were not shy about their intentions with us. After clarifying that we aren't  nuns, they seemed to take that as an okay to make sure that we knew there was a way for us to really get to know Guatemala if we wanted to, after we married them. Ahem.
And Futbol... we played futbol with our branch on Tuesday. It was so fun! The hispanic people are all so tiny though. We were playing missionaries against investigators and of course all of the latinos were super good at it. However, they were all half of my height, and at one point I went in to steal the ball and knocked two of them over, at once. It was super hilarious! And really awkward for them haha.
One other story: We were walking home on Thursday, walking day this week, and we ran into Mark, a man from Southern Ireland who has family in Boise Idaho. We told him about our message and he was very courteous. However, he has some very firm beliefs in God and we weren't very successful in having him come to church. I knew that was more than a coincidence, though. God placed him in our path to remind me part of the reason why I'm out here: because I have an eternal family, and I am working towards living with them forever with our Heavenly Father. I know this church is true, and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. I love the Book of Mormon, and I am so grateful to be a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Love
Hermana Millward

Me and Jack, the cutest boy you have ever seen, at the service project on Saturday. I love that kid.

The Elders we work with in our branch and us during the service project on Saturday

Serafin, a less active who we have formed a great relationship with, is a very talented painter. He can't get himself to sell any of his paintings, but he gave me and my companion each one to remember him by.

No comments:

Post a Comment