Sunday, we went to church. We rode the bus as usual and
tried not to get too sticky in the wet heat that permeates everything here.
That evening we went to a baseball game where the cheers that were being led
said everything from “We are the Lions family” to “Out, out, out!” Just like
you would hear at an American baseball game.
The baseball games here are a bit more enthusiastic and loud, I would
say. People get pretty crazy about baseball in Taiwan, who knew?!
Monday I had a day in a new ICU. To be optimistic, it was
enlightening. To be honest, I totally overwhelmed my nurse I think. She kept
trying to have me sit down while she did everything, and then tried to give me
a 2 ½ hour lunch break so she could get everything done while I was gone. When
I came back she looked at me and said, “I finished all of my work while you
were gone! Now we can talk.” And we sat down and talked about the difference in
insurance and healthcare in Taiwan versus the United States. Taiwan seems to
have the opposite problem of the US- healthcare is a right here, but people
abuse that. Doctors are not paid very much and the hospitals are jam packed
with patients who have everything from a bee sting to bizarre types of cancer
that we don’t see in the states due to public health initiatives. There has to
be a happy medium between a privilege based system like we have in the States
and an overcrowded, constipated system with a lack of workers like they have in
Taiwan.
Monday night we went to Costco! It was exciting, I guess.
But mostly just like the States. We waited for half hour at a bus station and
drove past a Confucius temple. The traditional Chinese architecture here is the
stuff of every 90’s kids dreams who ever watched Mulan and thought that stuff
wasn’t real.
Tuesday was a second day in the ICU- I breathed for a
patient this day. We had a patient who
was in his mid 40’s with a brain aneurysm who was getting angioplasty and CT
scans done. The respiratory therapist disappeared for a moment while our nurse
headed around the corner, leaving me and my BYU friend in a crowded hallway
with a patient who could crash at any moment, no ventilator connected. I
grabbed the balloon and started squeezing every few seconds, suddenly realizing
if we weren’t constantly aware of his airway, this patient was gone. It was
fascinating to learn about the procedures that were done for this patient and
even more beautiful to see his parents pray over him, and leave relics on his
chest to keep the gods watching over him.
My heart broke as I saw their bewildered faces as we wheeled him through
the hallway- it was obvious they lacked any real understanding of what was
happening and my nurse didn’t communicate much with them. I ached to be able to
speak with them and comfort them, but I have no language unfortunately. I
prayed for them multiple times after that.
Tuesday we spent time in downtown Tainan and I got some
jewelry, and a hat that says Supreme on it. Because I’m a tool, I guess.
Wednesday I was in a new unit- hospice. This was such an
amazing experience for me! My nurse was incredibly outgoing and we had the
opportunity to go around to different units of the hospital and help counsel
patients and their families as they dealt with the dying process. It was
amazing to see the connection that my nurse had with each patient. We found out
that one patient had passed away and she almost cried. Even though she is there
and only steps in when death is imminent, she cared about each and every life
and felt sorry when she didn’t have the opportunity to spend more time with
each patient and their families.
Wednesday night we had a church activity where we spent time
with investigators who were learning English. I met a woman named May and her
son Jeff. They were sweet, and we talked about how they had come to English
class and first heard about it. It was good to learn to get outside my comfort
zone and speak to people who are learning my language, when I only have a couple
of words in theirs.
Jenna and I spent time walking around a mall that had 5
floors Wednesday night as well. It was beautiful and way expensive! The only
thing we bought was some ice cream, which made me happy J Sometimes I find myself
missing familiar American food.
Today we are on our way to Kenting, a beach town in southern
Taiwan. Should be an amazing weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment