Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"The Pasta that fed 10" -Email 04/22/2013

This week is the week- Tommy has a baptismal date set for this Saturday, the 27th. We saw ANOTHER miracle when we left a lesson with him and found his Dad standing outside on the corner. We had a huge talk with him where he expressed his feelings about Tommy not being ready and wanting Tommy to really change. We were given the incredible opportunity in that moment to testify and follow the Spirit as we spoke about baptism by immersion by those holding the authority from God being the first step to a lifetime of change, and how Tommy's faith surpassed anything we had ever seen from a 13 year old. We were prompted, at the end of the long talk, in which we laughed and also felt teh spirit, to invite him to pray about Tommy being baptized the 27th. We have all the faith in the world that this good man will receive the answer from God that Tommy needs baptism. We know he can be baptized this week. We have faith, and faith is power.

We had the unexpected opportunity to feed a family of 10 this week. That was hilarious. I can hardly buy any milk for myself this week but magically the 3.7 Elders had a ton of extra pasta and we scrounged up some squash and zucchini and made a penne pasta in red sauce with sauteed vegetables, along with a tray of cookies that the assistants randomly gave us because they didn't want it. Um. Miracle. So we payed nothing and fed a family of 10. And it was so much food. It was the best thing ever. 

It was a sister in the branch's birthday and we didn't have flowers, or money, to get her anything. Magically the appointment before we went to her house the woman we were teaching gave us all the ingredients to a dessert fruit salad. And so we brought her a fruit salad cake :) And this sister, who is going through such hard things right now, had her hair curled and a smile on her face as she entertained her guests and fed us all she had- beans and chicken. And it was the most humbling birthday party I've ever been honored to attend, filled with laughter and the spirit and closed with the most humble and faith filled prayer. I love serving the Hispanic people. They are so amazing.

We had the opportunity also to do some service with cleaning up Hurricane Sandy! YES! All of my dreams came true! I am now the proud owner of a bright yellow vest that says, "Mormon Helping Hands" on it and also a new rash from brushing up against all the poison ivy around! It's the best thing ever! I showered with dish soap, so the rash has mostly disappeared thank goodness. :) It felt so good to do some physical labor. I'm secretly hoping to someday be a walking sister... Driving is nice, but I like to exercise more :)

This week is the end of my training. I can't believe it. I am so ready to continue growing though. Bring it on, Heavenly Father!

Oh, one more thing. We found 3 live mice this week in our apartment. It doesn't even phase me any more. When you live in Jersey City, you will always have mice or roaches, or both. Chyesssssss.

Okay wait last thing! Look up people on mormon.org who were converted even though before they didn't believe in Christ or God at all. It is amazing the power of the gospel has- we meet people like that here and I just know that anyone, regardless of background or history, can accept Jesus Christ as their Savior and this gospel as his. Why? Because it is true. We are so blessed to have the full truth again on the Earth. I love this gospel. Bring on another week :) Love you all!

Hermana Millward <3
 
The birthday party/family!

Hermana Jane and I doing mormon Helping hands! Mmmm lookin good in yellow.

It's Spring here :) The trees are incredible and everywhere, even in the city!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment