So, I went to a bull fight last Friday night.
I have to be honest, I have a hard time at rodeos sometimes, and I was worried this was going to be very difficult for me.
Well, the first one was.
There was a lot of Pomp and Circumstance, with horses and men walking around the ring presenting themselves and introducing all 3 matadores, and their firsts, seconds, and thirds...
I found myself cracking up when the stadium finally went silent and the first bull entered and my friend screamed out of surprise and fear.
And then, it started.
The toreros dance around, teasing the bull with pink capes. Eventually, the man on the horse comes out and he stabs the bull in its back. This continues, until the third phase starts. The toreros take turns running straight at the charging bull and placing sharp sticks into it's back. It ends up with 6 or 8.
And then the dance begins.
The main matador is handed his red cape, while others behind a panel distract and anger the bull. The matador walks to the center of the ring to rounds of applause, presents his sword, and the bull's distraction is finished. He charges the matador.
The matador holds his body in a tenuous but beautiful shape, with legs straight and chest out, and allows the bull to slide across the front of his body as he whips the red cape around and the bull continues past. The steps continue as the matador shows off to the crowd, the brave ones finishing a phase of the dance and then turning their back on the bull in order to accept with open arms the applause of crowd, and the talented ones coming out of each swipe with more blood smeared across the front of their beautiful suits.
The crowd roars and gasps at every swipe the bull makes, every step the matador takes, and every moment is pierced with the tension of the dangerously beautiful dance that seems to captivate every person in the audience. This is different than before; this is more art than violence, more beauty than just a festival of obtaining meat to eat. This is culture, and it's roots in history seem to sing to every individual as the bull continues to charge, and slow, and charge, it's powerful form contrasting the grace and leanness of the torero.
Once again, another distraction; the matador receives his killing sword.
This part is more violent- the dance continues, and the sword enters. The other matadors come out and surround the bull into a corner, as he falls... and then he is killed quickly. The crowd applauds and men quickly come out, wrap a thick rope around his horns, and drag him out behind three decorated horses.
So, there you have it. It's a dance. It's an art form. It's culture. It's the act of making obtaining meat a source of beauty and entertainment. It could be considered a brutality. It is controversial and some think unethical.
For me, it was hard. But as I strived to see it from the perspective of the culture, because that is why I am here, to learn about and become a Spaniard for 3 months, I did see the beauty in it. And I saw the way the people were angered if the killing was not done quickly. I saw the history in the dance of gratitude and celebration that came with having a source of food for many people. And I learned about a tradition that is hundreds of years old, in the country of it's origin, learning from a nice old Spanish man named Serapio, who was kind enough to ask if I wanted a beer, because he didn't know the price of the water.
It's rich, the culture here. The people are kind and so willing to help. The chocolate is incredible. And the history is dense. The unique and lovely thing about Spain is that you become part of the history as you walk around and through buildings that are thousands of years old, through neighborhoods built by different religious organizations in eras so different from our own, and drink in the culture that soon becomes part of your character while you learn about a people who are passionate and brilliant; I am so blessed to be here. My mind is still blown. I give my thanks to my Heavenly Father that I have this opportunity, and the support behind me to help me here. I love the Lord; Life is Beautiful. Love you all, talk to you soon <3
No comments:
Post a Comment