Thursday, October 18, 2012

Madrid, Take 2


So Tuesday, Letty and I took no thought to the day before except to acknowledge that it was a day of slight failure, and decided to try again! We headed right into Madrid after dinner. While sitting on the half hour train ride and got bored. Naturally, I challenged Letty to perform some pushups in the train aisle.

Let’s talk about Spanish culture. They are very reserved. They talk quietly. They are very direct.

Let’s talk about my personality. I am not reserved. My laugh is so loud, and I can do some crazy things sometimes, like pushups on train.

Okay I know it doesn’t sound that crazy, but she did pushups, and then it was my turn. And then we did tricep lifts on the edge of the seats. She was pumping them out, I was commentating, and the guy behind us was laughing his head off. When I laid down and starting to break out some pilates abs, I had a man all the way down the car leaning out of the aisle and staring at me over his glasses. A man with the classic straight face of any Spanish man couldn’t help but smile as he continued to look back over his newspaper, and smiled at us as we got off the train too. We made friends that day.

We spent our time in the plaza in front of the Palacio Real and listened to a man playing the accordion. We moved our way leisurely through shops, took a stop at the ‘oldest restaurant in the world’ according to Guiness World Records, and then found ourselves some scarves/hats/gloves to bundle up for going north in the coming weekend. We found ourselves the Cercanías, pulled our way into the bus station and walked home, happy and ready to get ourselves packed up.

I skyped my mom… and I was so happy :) And by 1 am, I got myself in bed and asleep. We woke up the next day, happy, and after praying real hard, found my passport AND made the bus :) Small mercies.

Life is good. Love you all. Talk to you soon <3

No comments:

Post a Comment