Okay. Yes. I haven't posted all week, and I never talked about last weekend. You have two options: I can post all of the random things and the two big weekend things in one giant post, and you can read it, or you can navigate away from this page to... lds.org and search mormon messages :) Or, you could do both. Either way, I highly recommend hitting up the 'Light' series by Elder Bednar on Mormon Messages at some point TODAY :) I promise you'll feel a warm happy feeling if you do. A peace about humanity and divinity. And I testify that's the spirit of God telling you it's true :) It is.
So, I think I'm just going to go in the order that things come to my head. It might be scattered. Oh well ;)
1. My papers are FINALLY going in this Wednesday! I already have friends receiving their calls! But I have to tell myself I am not behind, I am doing well. Because one, I am in Spain. Two, in between deciding to go the second I heard the announcement and now, I have had some pretty scary health issues just show up that had to get taken care of, which required 2 (and this week 2 more) 7 hour visits into Madrid to see the doctor. And I have missed my religion classes by Elder Lopez on Mondays, which has been stinky, but he has been so understanding and girls have been so nice to come with me :) However, one small test left tomorrow, get the results Wednesday, push the button! Easy as pie! And I am learning patience. I am learning to accept it is possible I will be called to leave after next semester. Patience, Young Padawan.
2. France. I love France. I loved the language!!! And I am pretty good at the 5 words I know!!! Wouldn't mind going back... for the next 18 months... or so... haha just kidding. I only said that because that has been a few people's guesses by now for where they think I will be going on my mission! We'll see. I really have prayed to feel happy wherever I am called. I know the Lord will place me where I need to be. Just have to keep remembering that.
3. Oh yeah, France. Remember how I just started talking about my mission when I was supposed to be talking about France? Whoops. Okay. So it was rainy and beautiful, and we spent time walking along the ocean, touring a cathedral right on the ocean, shopping around. It was interesting how we were just a few minutes over the border and you could tell the difference architecturally almost immediately. I tried a French Macaroon which was good, and also bought another sticker for the back of my computer from the most handsome man I have seen in all of Europe that was able to transition very easily into Spanish when we told him we didn't speak French. There were people in shops who didn't speak a lick of English or Spanish, so that was fun trying to figure out prices and things haha. One lady sat there holding her hand out with coins in it repeating the same thing over and over and over as I repeated the same thing in Spanish over and over and over. Smooth. We entered a famous casino that overlooks the ocean and used the restroom there, which had sinks that was one giant angled slab of granite that the water ran down into a small channel behind it. Super cool.
4. Also last weekend, we stopped in Santander, Zarautz, and stayed in San Sebastian. All rainy and cold, but all gorgeous! We saw a monument created by Franco where he pushed 3,000 prisoners off a cliff to their deaths after his victory in the Spanish Civil War. The view was absolutely beautiful, the sentiment... melancholy. I cannot believe what horrors lie in history. There are many beautiful things that humanity has done, and I am an optimist about human nature, but there are a lot of very disturbing things that people have done to other people and creatures too. I feel blessed to be from where I am from and know what I know. In Zarautz we stopped and played on the beach and met two dogs and saw three very attractive surfers who came, rode 3 waves, and left. We played, and most importantly I body slammed Pamella on the beach. That was so hilarious! My view of her just hitting the ground had me cracking up. She is such an awesome sport! San Sebastian was Uh.May.Uh.Zing. So beautiful and I loved playing in the ocean with Mary. The view over the bay was incredible and I can't even explain how gorgeous the clouds floating into the mountains were.
5. Monday I had another doctor's appointment and after everything, my results all came out clean. Truly a miracle after the priesthood blessing I received and all of the prayers of those who were remembering me at home. I am a blessed girl, and I am so grateful that I was able to have that experience to strengthen my testimony of the Lord in our lives and the truth of the power of the priesthood exercised worthily by a priesthood holder who lives his life as he should. Thank you, SuperProfe. Love that guy. Also Monday we got to the doctor's with NO PROBLEMS and had time to go to Puerta del Sol and get some pizza, a McFlurry, and churros con chocolate. Some advice: Get porras con chocolate instead of churros, because they are bigger and they soak up that yummy chocolate :) If you're ever in Madrid, hit up the Puerta del Sol, Find the McDonalds, follow that street down and take your second right off of the Calle Mayor, You'll see a giant CHOCOLATERIA sign... enter, and you've found the world famous Churrieria de San Gines where all the famous have eaten, including Stevie Wonder :) Serving 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. YUM.
6. Tuesday Wednesday Thursday= stay inside all day and do homework. I am just about finished with all of my classwork now! But I wanted to slay myself after spending so much time on my bed in my little room.
7. Friday, a day trip to El Escorial, where there is a huge library and 500 years of history. It's a beautiful building and I really enjoyed the guided tour. We got to spend the time there and then in a castle that looked like the kind to imagined growing up with turrets and big towers where they would hide the princess. Mary and I snuck around and walked up some stairs that led to a window, touched the window, took a picture, and ran away all illegally... it was fantastic :) I am proud of us!
8. Also Friday, we went to a monument called El Valle de los Caidos. This blew me away. I was able to spend time walking and talking with Profe who really knows a lot about the Spanish Civil War. This monument is built on top of the tippy tippy top of a mountain. It is a giant cross! And underneath the cross is a huge cathedral, bigger than the Vatican. Franco used his prisoners of war after the victory to build this church, as a monument to himself. Yet again, many died building this monument, thus the translation of the name of the monument (The Valley of the allen). Many fell off the cliff while building this for him as they strived to continue working in conditions of fatigue, dehydration, and more. The church was incredibly huge, and I have to admit the facade was foreboding. There was a giant statue of the falling Christ on top with someone holding him, and as you walked in the halls were huge and small candles lit the walls. The floor was a black granite and the hall continued forever. You got to the part of the church where the dome is that leads to the chapels and altar and monstrous statues stand above you in the four 'corners' of the circle, without faces. Franco is buried here, along with his right hand man. The dome is built into the mountain and it is directly beneath the cross. Incredible, and so sad. I cannot do justice to the grandeur of the place; the view from the church was absolutely amazing, you could see the valley for miles, and the church had an intimidating presence in the mountain. But to know the story of so many, and to know that many of the Spanish people refuse to visit this monument because of what it represents was very thought provoking. How grateful I am that though the American Civil War was heart breaking for many and horrific in many ways, Lincoln started the country again with a clean slate afterwards, all was forgiven. The war was not continued afterwards; at least Lincoln strived to be as Christian as possible. We have had many great leaders of our country, and I look forward to having more.
9. Saturday, Letty and I took our time waking up, reading the scriptures, pulling ourselves together, and getting into Madrid. We saw the Palacio Real finally, and it was amazing! If you go to Madrid, splurge for the tour of the Palacio. It was absolutely beautiful and there is so much history there, but it is still used! Did you know that the oldest school of pharmacy is located there? 400 years and still running. I love my opportunities and I LOVE SPAIN!
10. Bishop's interview done, last test about to be completed, and setting up my interview with the stake president for any time possible. I am turning my papers in this wednesday!!! Any guesses on where I might go? Post below if you care to :)
Love you all, talk to you soon. Oh, and if you see my Dad tell him I love him! I haven't talked to that guy in over two weeks by now! No worries, we're skyping tomorrow. Love you all! Love the Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment