Thursday, October 18, 2012

What did Momma Tell You

Growing up I was known as the whirlwind, the child that would sweep through the house leaving a trail of things and no one unsure of my mood or my life’s state at the time. I had the nicknames of Thunder Foot, Barb-Elise, Merm-Elise, and Feliz Elise. Most of the time, I was happy; other times, I was not. I recall many different descriptions of my room growing up from parents and the like: “It looks like an atomic bomb went off in here!” “Did a tornado roll through?” “Seriously, Felas (lazy pronunciation of Feliz. Cute, huh?), I can’t see the floor. It looks like the Himalayas in there.” “Your room is in the most ridiculous state I have ever seen it in yet.” And the like.
My aunt would always come and clean it, I cannot count how many hours I spent cleaning up, cleaning out, and laying around dreading beginning cleaning it.

Generally when I made cookies growing up, they were ridiculously delicious, and the kitchen ended up slightly messier than my parents would have hoped. I always was told, “When you get it out, use it, and then put it away Elise! I am not your maid.” Understandable, I would say.

Well, I’ve learned. I am pretty good at keeping myself together and my things cleaned up, especially because I share my rooms and bathrooms with other people now.

Today, when we got on the bus, we were in for an adventure. This weekend, we are going up north! Namely, Santander, Bilbao, Southern France, San Sebastian, and the like. I cannot believe how incredible this opportunity is! I am still squealing and jumping up and down! Anyways… we had a nice 6 hour drive and ended up in Santander, passing the incredibly beautiful Catedral de Burgos yet again and going straight on to the Cantabria Sea.

I was so excited!!! I just hopped off the bus and jumped around and got so happy with all of these wonderful girls. Let me paint the picture for you:

Blue. All shades. A bright greenish blue at the shore, with white foam licking at the peaks of the waves, crashing against cliffs of rock dark as coal, rough as rusted steel against a small child’s hand. The sky soared up, blending from white to yellow to deep gray blue, touching dark navy water at the edge of our vision. As you looked to the left, you saw green, the edge of the earth as it dropped into a rocky abyss, feet above crashing waves. Small Spanish houses with red roofs and white rock walls dotted the countryside and plants grew wild against the mountains in the background. I was enchanted. We stood and learned of Franco’s dominance at it’s worst, when he won the Spanish Civil War and forced 30,000 republican prisoners of war off of these beautiful and deathly drops.

As we laughed and sang and snapped photos while standing on the tip edge of the rocky cliff, Profe came over and told us the bus driver was unhappy. Apparently he had found a cigarette butt holder that had unclipped and was on the ground. We already weren’t supposed to be eating on the bus (nobody told us that) and now we were already going around breaking it and treating it badly is what he said.

My tummy dropped.

Remember all those times my parents told me to clean up after myself? I suddenly did. The plastic had popped out a couple of times and I had replaced it every time. The third time though I did not, I figure I would just ‘get it later.’

Shoulda just done what Momma always told me, and keep it clean. I heard my parents’ chastising voices as I realized now the bus driver was really mad. When we got on the bus he came back to me as I was about to get into my seat, held the piece near my face so I could see it, and told me that I must be careful and if this continued to happen he would become really angry and we would not be able to finish out the weekend.

I felt so bad!

Oh I felt awful. We got off the bus and ran onto the beach, around a ridiculously fit old man wearing nothing but a speedo, who checked out all of the blonde ladies in our group as they took pictures of him and his amigos playing paddle ball. We took pictures as we stared out at the unreal scene before us of wind and waves and blue sky and cliffs. We had so much fun dipping our feet in the sea and writing phrases in the sand, but I was still trying to not feel too badly about the plastic piece. It wasn’t even broken, after all, right? It just popped right back in and then practically felt back out. It probably just needed replacing.

I approached Profe as we left the beach and walked over to the palace, the wind whipping our hair and forcing life into our veins as we found exhilaration in the moment, the beauty, and the power of the elements. I began, “First, I just want to say how sorry I am about the plastic piece. I really didn’t mean to. It kept popping out and I just left it the third time. I should have put it back. I’m so sorry!”
Profe responded, “Oh, don’t worry about him. He’s just being a butthead.”

Instant relief.

Profe is the best. I love that he just says it as it is… and knows how to help his students feel better in the process. He is one of the most skilled pedagogues, He knows how to read his students right away if they don’t understand or are feeling badly. He know just what to say :) Not to mention that the other day when I was feeling really sick he went right out and bought me antibiotic and gave me a blessing. I just really appreciate him! That’s right, I’m the luckiest to have this guy as my program director and the ladies around me that I do, with the opportunity to pray and speak with my Heavenly Father every day.

We spent the rest of the afternoon in Santander, at the beach, and walking around the commercial parts of the city. I slid down the giant banister at the church and used Ms Lauren’s shoulder as my breaks, slicing my finger in the process. Wouldn’t have given it up for the world. There was a beautiful sauce llorĂ³n next to the cathedral (wheeping willow), which is my favorite tree, and vines climbed wire pergolas throughout the city, covering blue benches that invited couples and friends alike to sit and relax in the proper Spanish fashion. It was wonderful.

Now we are on the drive to Bilbao, where we will find our hotel for the night and enjoy a little time to relax and then go out to dinner, all of us together :)

I love my life. I could not help but feel the spirit as I sat in the cathedral in Santander listening to the mass and walking around looking at the stained glass. I know Jesus Christ lives. I know the Lord knows where we are and what we need, and He wants to bless us. I know we aren’t perfect, but I know that we can try our hardest and Heavenly Father will help us to reach our full potential as we lean on Him in this life and throughout eternity. I love the Lord. I love my family. I love life :) and not only because I have this once in a lifetime opportunity here in Spain- because I have the love of the Savior, His words in the scriptures and Book of Mormon to guide me, and others to love and support me along the way. Every day’s a learning experience; Every day we can come closer to Him. Pray. Talk. Then listen.

Love you all, talk to you soon <3

1 comment:

  1. Elise, I ADORE you. I could hear your voice resonating in my head as I read all of your words. Way to integrate a childhood experience and important lesson into our experiences here in Spain! :)

    ReplyDelete