Monday, June 10, 2013

"Refining Fire" -Email 06/03/2013

As I think about how to put this week into words, I am at a loss. This week has been one of the most testing weeks of my life.
The Lord sent me on a mission to serve others, but really I know that without this mission there would be lessons I need that I wouldn't have been able to learn without the lifestyle I am living right now.
I like to be perfect; let's face it, not gonna happen. But when I came out on the mission I felt almost relieved that I had a whole white book full of great ideas on how I can be exactly obedient and have no problems ever!
.... Yeah.
This week I learned about communication. I learned that when it's difficult, sometimes that is when the most communication needs to happen. I learned about humility, and taking criticism without defending myself. I learned to submit myself to the Spirit so that the lesson would go the way it needed to- and not the way I wanted it to. I learned to trust my companion- she is so amazing, I thank Heavenly Father every day that I am blessed enough to work with her- and to let her help me when I need it. I learned about keeping my feet in cold water so I could stay awake during studies, because our lessons needed to be guided by the spirit and the Lord needed to know the effort we were willing to put in to receive revelation for that person. I learned about loving others, even when all I wanted to do was focus on myself. I learned about the pure power that comes with simply doctrines, especially those stated in Preach My Gospel. I learned that as I use these doctrines to testify simply to men and women on the street, they feel the power and spirit of God in their heart. I learned to accept help from others, and graciously thank them, and how to work hard when others need me. I learned that if Christ were walking the streets of Morristown, and Boonton, and Madison, the most important thing that He would be doing would be just loving the people. I can do that.
Nina was confirmed this week. She was baptized by water last week, and by the fire of the Holy Spirit of God this week. She was so happy, and so beautiful. When we taught her son and asked him to pray about joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, he looked at us and said, "No, I think I already know. That Book is true."
We had the sacred experience of teaching a young man with depression this week. He spoke of hard times and wanting to be good but not having a sure guide. He looked at us when we invited him to pray to know if Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and if the Book of Mormon was true, and he said, "I know that that is true, and I am sorry I didn't know it before."
The Lord works in ways that are mysterious- as he works through us as missionaries to bring others to Christ, he works on us. He had us set the goal to baptize 4 people this month- a remarkably high number for this mission- and we had 0 investigators. Now I don't know if we will find 4 who are ready and will be baptized this month. But I do know that the Lord is trying our faith, to see if we will put forth the effort, and to watch us grow as we learn to love his children everywhere, no matter if they slam the door in our face or if they invite us in and give us orange juice (every hispanic here loves orange juice... I'm becoming obsessed with it too!).
I love the Lord. This is His work. I kneel every day and thank Him for the sacred opportunity to be His servant. Jesus Christ stands at the head of our church- and I know the Book of Mormon to be a manifestation of God's love for us.
Love
Hermana Millward




Cicadas. They come out of the ground and mate every 17 years here, leaving their shells behind as they die. They're as big as a sausage. And lucky me, it's the 17th year!

Loving the Branch Mission Leader's son, Adrian.

With Nina just before she was baptized by our good friend, Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment