Monday, February 25, 2013

"First Week!" -Email 02/25/2013

Hola!
This week I have officially been inducted into the typical Jersey lifestyle. It includes stepping in dog poop the first night, getting peed on by the dog of an investigator that I was holding, almost stepping on a smashed cat with a stick in its neck on the side of the road, walking down a couple of dark alleys to knock on doors that are in the basement and hidden by smoke, helping teach and baptize two investigators, teaching on a small flight of stairs that are covered in dirt and cigarettes and who knows what, playing volleyball with the Elders in the zone, being called EVERYTHING but Sister Millward (seriously. no one here can say my name. Is that even real? It's not that hard! I have gotten Millhouse, Mildred, Millard, Willmard, Willard...), getting yelled at by the tiwi-car supervisor (a little radio that tells us when we are speeding or, in my case (apparently), driving aggressively), and...... learning to recognize the Spirit as undeniable impressions have come to me while trying so hard to do the Lord's will on the diverse and fantastic streets of Bayonne, New Jersey.

Interestingly, this sister has not been scared. Once. I am the girl who runs as fast as she can up the stairs because the boogy man will get me... but I realized as we were walking up and down this dark street the other day, and another time when we entered a super sketchy building and walked up and down a dark staircase that I was completely at peace. And it's not ignorance, it's just protection. I am safe here. It's so fun! I LOVE it!!!!

So this week I participated in the teaching of Chelsea, a 13 year old, and Gelitza, a 60 year old woman from Puerto Rico who both got baptized. A miracle happened when we entered Gelitza's home on Thursday. The feeling was incredibly chaotic and very anxious. She began to go into hysterics about how hypocritical the people at church are and how she would never be going back. All of these things were bothering her that had absolutely nothing to do with the gospel of Jesus Christ. And all of a sudden it was as if my ears had been shut- I could not understand a single word she was saying. I panicked when my companion looked at me and I had nothing to say. I was still kind of shy at acting on impressions because I had only taught a couple of lessons. But I felt the Lord tell me that I needed to speak. Gelitza at this point had almost completely turned around in her seat and was yelling at the wall, not even looking at us. It was silent. The Spirit entered the room, and I testified. I said her name twice. I made sure she was looking at me, and then I looked into her eyes, willing that her soul would listen, and I told her to "cast her mind upon the night' when she prayed first, and what her answer was when she asked if the Book of Mormon was true. I told her I knew that things can be confusing, and annoying, but I testified that the Lord had answered her and here was the truth. As tears rolled down her face, she was silent. The feeling in the room had completely changed. She looked at me and said, "I am getting baptized. This is the true church."
The Lord used me and my experiences to speak to His daughter who he loves so much, but who was being attacked by Satan, confused and feeling desperate.
I love my mission.
Her baptism on Sunday was beautiful. The spirit was present, and she gave us such big hugs. She is a beautiful daughter of God, and she will forever have part of my heart!
We are now starting from scratch- we have one investigator, one of Chelsea's friends who I love! She is 13 and has a sincere desire to learn. We are starting from the area book and moving forward. My companion is absolutely the best. We work so hard together, and we work so well together. She takes my suggestions and she helps me to know what I think and feel is valid. She is so dedicated and so diligent! I am so blessed! It's like a special order service for companions... I love her :) We have combined our faith and we are ready to find those the Lord has prepared. This area will explode!

Love Sister Millward <3

My companion and myself with the view of NYC from the parking lot of our apartment

Gelitza and my companion and I at her baptism


No comments:

Post a Comment