Well, talk about busting through the
tape! My mission has been a whirlwind. it's been the most difficult,
most amazing thing ever! I guess right when you feel like you are
finally on top of things, sometimes God shoves life-threatening muscle
weakness/paralysis into the mix just to shake it up and see how much you
really do trust Him. I have to say I do trust HIM. I have learned
that from my mission, how to trust Him every moment of every day. When
things do make sense and when they don't.
I have seen so many
miracles on my mission. Countless small moments, when we followed our
plan for the day and so the exact right person was on the street in that
moment for us to contact or to serve. I have learned that God is in
the details. I would like to record one of my favorite miracles that is
happening right here in this hospital room.
My roommate here is
28, a recovering addict who awoke to God 6 months ago after years of
despair and not knowing how to get out. She loves God, but her 12 steps
with AA have not been enough. Here in our room together we have faced
life changing diagnoses, frustrating doctors, scary needles, and have
only had God to hold onto as what we thought was our perfect world was
crumbling around us. I spoke a lot about God, and she did too. I could
tell she felt confused as to why this was happening, and so we talked
about trials in the eternal perspective and the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
I shared Thomas S. Monson's talk from Oct 2013 General Conference and
Doctrine & Covenants 121 and 53:2-3. My sweet missionary friends
have come and shared messages with me and we have invited her to
participate. I gave her a Book of Mormon and told her how important it
is to me. And finally, those amazing Elders, Elder Townsend & Elder
Leon, came and taught Lesson 3. They asked all of the right questions
and as the lesson progressed she talked about the relief she would feel
if the Doctrine of Christ is true, and the Book of Mormon, because it
would mean something would work to make her really happy. She is
excited to be baptized on March 9, 2014.
This morning, she received her first priesthood blessing for the sick
and afflicted. She told me afterwards that she hadn't felt so safe in a
long time.
The work we do is real. God is in the details. When
we give Him our hears, He fills them with love and all we want to do is
share the Gospel.
Hermana Elise Millward
Dear friends and family-
Sister Millward was discharged from the hospital last evening. We are planning to return to Boise on Thursday
late in the evening. We are leaving without a firm diagnosis, but she
is safe to travel. She is not coming home a fit and healthy girl.
Please be mindful that she has been virtually bedridden for 3 weeks and
her energy is sapped very quickly. We have a lot of work ahead of us
to navigate her health issues. While we don't have medical answers to
what has happened in her body, why she presents with and continues to
have unexplained changes in her brain scans, what we do KNOW is that God
has heard every single prayer that has been offered on her and our
family's behalf. As her mother, I have been blessed to be a witness to
the miracles taking place in the hospital not only just with her body
but with the miracles happening to her spirit and those lives that she
has touched everywhere she has been. We have been ministered to by
heavenly and earthly angels. Every single time her spirits would flag,
our Heavenly Father sent someone to her bedside that she could teach or
testify to. When she was lonely, He lifted her up. When I was weak and
tired and discouraged, I was blessed as well. The members of her
little branch here have been so good to us. Bringing her treats, giving
me rides, making us laugh and visiting. She has been served faithfully
by her priesthood leaders with daily visits that were uplifting and
full of encouragement and hope.
Sister Millward is returning from
her mission on her 1 year anniversary. She has a path to navigate that
now involves being restored to full health and strength as we trust in
the blessings she has received and at the same time place our faith,
confidence and trust in doctors at home. She has been faithful in her
service and her mission family is sad to see her leaving. She doesn't
want to come home, but she knows it is what she has to do so she can
continue to be an instrument in His hands. We don't know what the
future holds in terms of her health. We don't have answers. She
doesn't know if she is supposed to return to the mission field. She
will do what Heavenly Father wants her to do and will be cared for
spiritually by a loving Bishop and Stake President. As a family, we do
KNOW that The Gospel is true. The work she has been doing for the past
year full time is the work of God. Gary and I are truly humbled by the
many many acts of selfless service and kindness. For your prayers, for
your meals, for your emotional support and encouragement. We will
never be able to convey adequately our thanks to you all for your
prayers and fasting on her behalf. I am so proud of my other children.
They have ALL been so good and supportive and loving from afar. This
has been a difficult challenge for them. And hard to be apart and
continue to share information and concerns. Our priorities and
perspective on this mortal life have been re-aligned and sharpened.
Our love to you all.
Ann & Gary
Josh, Brooke, Hna Millward, Rebekah, Callie & Zachary

No comments:
Post a Comment