Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Look Mom, I killed a chicken

Okay so I didn't actually... but if the chicken I was preparing was still alive, it would have been dead. That isn't as stupid as it sounds! I had to slice 2 chicken breasts down long ways into three skinny slices and then 'pound the dickens out of them' as Mrs. A told me to do this morning before she left. When she said it, I thought, "hm... sounds fun!" And it was! I could get used to pounding chicken as hard as I can with little Baby-E staring at me with those huge eyes and the 'R&B classics' station going in the background (love me my EWF baby!).  I felt like I was making mud pies or doing something akin to childhood all over again, but instead I was making Chicken Ricotta, or Chicken Prada as Mr. I called it tonight. I think I would rather a nice Chicken Gucci- I guess they're both Italian though, so it doesn't change much.

Turns out I'm a pretty darn good cook! I made the same salad we had last night, but I made it instead of someone else, and it was a lot yummier tonight :) Not to brag... but dang, I make a good cabbage-onion-crunch salad. Mmmm hmm :) And the chicken was super good too. It's fun because the recipes Mrs. A gives me have no measurements so I get to just go for it. Good news: Haven't set the kitchen on fire yet. Woo!

Baby-E started out the day by barfing on me. It was beautiful. Once we got over that, he and I went to the park and I pushed him on the swings. Such a little cutie. He was sitting there with this bored look on his face and then I brought out the camera and he completely hams it up with this giant gummy smile. It was adorable. And he does this thing when he's really happy where he launches himself at your face and latches on with his mouth. It kind of reminds me of this guy (Poor Baby-E keeps getting compared to ugly animals):



Imagine that thing on your face. YUM. Just kidding. Haha actually, I haven't kissed anyone but my parents, but I'd say this baby is darn good at it! I couldn't get him off of me! It was hilarious. I love that cutie baby!!! After cutie little sucker face had dinner, I took him upstairs to change his diaper, about 10 minutes before Mrs A got back. Naturally, as I took off his diaper, he decided to wiggle around and stand up. And then he peed. This was another beautiful moment in the day, as the urine inundated his shoes and socks, and I almost started rolling around in joy at cleaning it all up. Actually I really was laughing, because he turns and looks at me and just grins. That guy has nerve, haha and it makes me laugh!

Today while Baby-E and I were at the park, it was very peaceful. As I looked at the clouds, the phrase, "finger of God" came to my mind, and continued to stay there the entire time we were at the park. I began to ponder the beauty created by the finger of God. The curve of the clouds and the smooth waves of the ocean are artistic and poetic. The beautiful grass with pretty little flowers, and the gentle way a breeze can caress your face and hair. The comfort found in subtle smells or small visual stimuli that bring joy. The squeal from a baby's mouth sends waves of sound that hit your ear drums in a way that grabs your attention (just how strongly depending on how close the baby is to you at the time :P). Something that I've learned in the short time I've lived here is that just because we move far away, the world is not too big for God to come with. He is here with me. I felt it today as I sat with the warm breeze on my face and the powerful sun shining down. I feel the same Spirit of peace and familiarity here that I did when I was home with my family or in Provo at school. It does not change, because God does not change. In Mormon 9:9 it says, "For do we not read that God is the same yesterday, today and forever, and in him there is no variableness neither shadow of changing?" I don't think I realized the comfort found in that statement before now. In him, we are always safe, because in him, there is always familiarity and home. I know these things to be true, and I know that he is with us, even when we feel alone. Trials come and go, but from them we are made stronger. If we look to him, we become more like him, and that is the ultimate goal. I cannot wait to live with him again. I love my Savior, Jesus Christ. I know he died for me. I know he loves me. I know that through him, I can become perfect. What beauty lies in the optimism of an eternal outlook- it will all be okay, because God is in control. We are never alone. I say these things, in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, my Savior, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment