Just kidding that would be dumb, especially considering the fact that right now I have no friends and I would most likely end up leaving church with approximately... no friends. Because who looks like they know how to surf when they're wearing a suit and tie or a skirt that reaches their knees? Not me. Especially when I'm in the suit. Then I just look weird, and usually attract the wrong crowd all at the same time.
Pretty gorgeous, huh? I was amazed. I was also amazed at the incredible Mexican food. But I think I already mentioned that, so...
This morning I went for a run and the best song of them all came onto my iPod:
I spent the evening with a girl I met in the temple last night. She was very kind and invited me to the Singles Wards Dance! How fun, right?! I awkwardly danced for a few minutes, and then we sat and talked with other people, and then I continued to awkwardly try to fit in and dance. But something was off... and it definitely was the music. I didn't like it very much! I felt very uncomfortable, especially because I was at a church dance, so I shouldn't have had a problem with it. But, I did. My older siblings can attest to me being maybe a little oversensitive with the music that I listen to. Anyways, I tried to rationalize, and I found myself committing the biggest of sins when I heard the words "In Boise we just have dumb music like Earth Wind and Fire at our church dances" come out of my mouth. HORRENDOUS! I LOVE MY EWF, BABY! I will defend them to the end!
I dashed out of the room, and after scrubbing my mouth out with soap for uttering such heinous language as aforementioned, I promptly called the one and only Kirsetona. She was right there, right when I needed her, just like always. I am so grateful. She sat and listened to me, and helped me figure it all out. Here's what she helped me conclude:
I get to decide what MY standards are here. No one I know is around to influence me. I get to really decide how I want to live MY life, no matter if I am at a church dance or not and the music seems weird, or if I am with good friends who feel differently about something than I do. I told Kirsetona that maybe I am a little worried about being strong enough to always stand up for what I believe in, when there is no one around who will know if I mess up, and what if I fall away while I am down here? Do you know what she said? "You won't fall away, I know it." And that's good enough for me. I love my Savior. Beauty surrounds, challenges come, and growth is in our future. Lucky us :) And let's face it, I'm the luckiest of them all to have a best friend like Kirsetona. The luckiest of them all. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment