Yeah. It’s
pretty.
Yesterday, I
woke up in Burgós, España. I woke up to a breakfast of pastries and eggs,
Spanish style. I have to admit… not a fan of those eggs. That’s fine. I can
deal with the pastries.
I woke up to
a tour of a city established in the years of Roman soldiers and city walls. We
walked in the shadow of banana trees (although I don’t think they’re named for
the fruit) whose branches had been cut and tied together, so that they were all
connected down the path in front of the main wall that protected the city
anciently.
I stood
beneath the shadow of the main theatre, whose potential was never quite gained
because the money ran out before the stone did, and so it was made of cheaper
material than intended from the second floor up. Across the way stood the
invincible CID, a man of legendary strength and heroism who lived in the 1400’s
who is still honored today.
The theatre :) See how the stone ends on the second story? Apparently that's where the money ended too.
Another statue in the square- I get them all mixed up!
Smile, It's Burgos!
We looked at
the lines of the floods that have hurt the city throughout the years.
And we
finished the tour off by coming around the corner to this:
Mouth open,
heart full, I walked inside with my group and found that the outside is only
the beginning.
I cannot
begin to describe to you how delicately breathtaking every intricate inch of
that cathedral is. It. Blew. My. Mind. Absolutely. You walk into a hall of
humongous size, and every square inch of stone and wood is covered in statues,
all with a symbolic meaning. There, played out on the walls, were stories from
the New Testament and Old. The barred door we walked through to get to the main
hall was at least 15 feet tall. The dome we stood under was incredibly
intricate to the top. And the thing was, from us up to the dome was 26 meters.
From the bottom of the dome to the top was 23. And the people who built it had
only their minds and their hands. No machines, no computers… only talent and
motivation to build for God.
Stained glass- stunning.
The view of the dome from below. It seemed to go on forever. I love the 8 pointed star.
Those pipes sticking out on the left and right are two different, very old, very intricate organs. Sweet, no?
Blurry, but I loved this room, it was where all the priests would sit during mass- I am pretty sure. I can't say I'm an expert on catholic religious ceremonies :)
A view from below in the coro :)
The peregrino's door, with the golden staircase.
That dome was HUGE! Almost as tall as the floor to the bottom of it. And it was a very high ceiling in the first place.
Up in the top left is our friend, the papamosca, who opens his mouth every time he clangs the bells to signal that hour. Papamosca refers to the fact that he'll catch flies with his mouth open, and so will all the people watching him from below with dropped jaws ;)
This is a small chapel for Peregrinos. You'll see the three signs of the Peregrinos in red to the left: The walking stick, the cancha (shell), and the cross.
THIS WAS AMAZING. So much detail, and when you were up close to it, so so so many layers!
The artist of the facade, in the facade :) I like his spectacles.
A Tomb... They used granite, and since that was too expensive, you'll notice his left foot is lighter than his left. That's because it's a cheaper, lower quality rock that was used throughout the sculpture.
Da Vinci painted this face, and a student the rest of the body. The face has Da Vinci's strokes, and the strokes in the rest of the painting are nothing like his, let alone the fact that the body looks very masculine, even down to the hands. Exciting!
This was what adorned every inch of that cathedral- the intricacy never ended!
The Virgin Mary, sculpted from a whole elephant tusk
And a statue... that was naked :/
Our guide
told us about every inch of that cathedral! The door where people used to cut
through in order to get to market, which is now officially closed and has been
for hundreds of years. The “Papamosca” who sits high above everyone since the
1400’s and clangs on the hour, every hour, while opening and closing his
mouth. We saw nativity scene upon nativity scene, tomb upon tomb upon tomb, and
heard story after story after story. Parts of the cathedral were ‘new,’ meaning
they were built in the 15th century.
Uhhhh yeah.
I think maybe the land that would become the US was almost becoming slightly
recognized by the western world maybe when that ‘new’ part of the church was
built.
It’s Gothic
structure was breathtaking. If you ever go to Spain, GO. TO. BURGÓS.
The city
itself was fun and busy and beautiful too- but that cathedral is something you
don’t want to miss.
We finished
off the day by getting some gelato for 1E each and then hopped on the bus, and
off to another little town with another little church.
Gelato! Don't judge the no make up/greasy hair look. I was sick again :(
Barefoot on Spanish ground :)
This one was
smaller, and of Roman style rather than Baroque.
The special part
was standing inside in a circle, where the acoustics were amazing, and singing
“Abide with me, ‘Tis Eventide” and “I Feel my Savior’s Love” while the man who
worked there listened. The spirit was present; the feeling was real.
We drove to
León, and continued to find marks of “El Camino de Santiago” (which I will be
walking someday. 700 k walk from France to Spain… me gusta) along the way…
The sign of the walk- the cancha, or shell. Most pilgrims carry a shell on their backpack too.
This way for the Camino de Santiago!
We found a
church, and quickly learned the difference between that and a cathedral after
slight miscommunications and me getting lost. Yeah. This is a cathedral:
The
cathedral is of the Gothic style and the church is of the Roman style. Did you
know people have been walking the Camino of Santiago since the 10th
century? Of course, it’s become easier and less hazardous to health now, but we
met a Spanish student who just finished his studies and a young adult girl from
Miami who were walking together. 3 weeks, they said they had been walking, and
they were 2/3 of the way there. Normally, it would take about 2 months. But
maybe they’re just super in-shape. That’ll be me walking it someday… I might
have time next year ;)
After buying
some patches and stickers and using the bathroom, oh and having a lady tell me
which size of shirt I needed (stinker) and thus not buying, we hopped on the
bus and ended up in the middle of a Spanish village, lost in time. Take a look:
A little street that I loved :)
Just relaxin :)
1993- The year I was born!
I loved all of the buildings there.
A charming set of stairs, no?
Mary and I
The stairs from the side.
On a Spanish Street with an orange... so happy :)
A wall... but an interesting one, I thought :)
Guitar friend! And Mary.
Spanish Cookies on the bus. Love Pam Bam and Hope :)
We met a
friend who played the guitar there too:
And now, we
are just about 1.5 hours from Madrid, and I am content and happy to say that
tonight I have a run and plenty of homework and unpacking ahead of me.
I am so
blessed. I cannot believe how lucky I am to be here. Thank you for your
support- I love you all. It’s easy to feel alone out here sometimes, but not
when I remember how many people I have in Btown and the rest of the US cheering
me on. I love you all J And I love the Lord- He’s cheering
me on too, thank goodness. It makes life a lot more fulfilling when I remember
that fact J
Talk to you
soon-
Eli <3





















No comments:
Post a Comment