Friday, August 31, 2012

Story Time!

Oh hey... It's been a couple of days.

Sit down, relax, and enjoy, because tonight (or your day)...

I have a couple of really fantastic stories.

1: Yesterday I ate churros. Lots of churros. Probably 75... and let me tell you, they were sooooo good!!! Fotos:


Chicas in the program- it's a new Thursday tradition to go after our one and only class and get some churros... for 1 Euro :)


Drinking chocolate. That's pure chocolate/pudding. Who wants Swiss mix when there's this stuff out there?


Sweetie Julie who I love and I'm pretty sure everyone else does too... Eric... ahem. 


Pretty, no?


This flattering photo was taken by Laura... that is a giant fatty churro at a giant fair (in Spain) and it is filled with cream and covered in chocolate. Had to try it... it's the cultural experience, right?

2: The men in Spain are much classier (sometimes) about hitting on you than the ones in Mexico. Those are the two countries besides the US I have been in, and so that's my only comparison. In Mexico, it's like, "Hey, you're American. Let's get married. You can have lots of kiddies and make me food and it will be great." And here, they're a little more subtle. For instance, the man who gave me my giant fat churro smiled at me, held eye contact when he gave it to me after a second glance, and when I said, "Gracias," he said, "De nada, bonita." Big smile!

3: Here's a good one: I was walking down this beautiful lane. We were leaving the Spanish fair, loving life and the fact that we were at a fair (in Spain) and I was taking lots of snapshots with my amiga's fantastic camera. There were lots of giant trees and lots of happy fuzzies flying through the air! And one of those fuzzies really wanted to be my friend! In fact, it flew right up my right nostril! 

Reaction: Bent in half, coughing and (slightly) using a finger to get it out! 
Appearance: Having some type of medical incident that requires me to pick my nose. In public. Hello, American.

No worries, after several minutes of receiving uncomfortable stares, embarrassing the girls with me, and continuing to pick my nose (Date me, boys), I found a tissue. No, not on the ground, as Leticia so kindly asked. In my purse. 

Las fotos (You THINK you don't want to see them. No worries, it's not too graphic):


Yes, that little sticky was up my nose. Do you see anything that might have been native to my nose? No. And that's why it's incredibly obvious that this was a singular moment in my life.


Loving the fact that it somehow managed to find that little whole out of all the places it could have flown.


Throwing away my little friend!

Lucky little fuzzy! Lucky Elise! Lucky Spain! Luckier Provo (that's right, I'll be back there one day...)!
LUCKIEST FUTURE HUSBAND (Brace yourself, whoever you are)!!!

4: I found a wall :) Letty and I were bumming it up in the Plaza de Cervantes, listening to some mayores talking about their day and how hot it was (it was smokin), and we found a really pretty wall!!! Here it is :)


It's a painting of the plaza. ¿Qué bonito, no?

5: Letty and I, quite often, are very hungry! Because that is just how it goes here. Remember how, when you're hungry, you grab something, and you eat it? Well, here in España, it's normal to be really hungry for hours during the day, every day. Small breakfast, nothing for 6-7 hours, big lunch (inundated with olive oil- not bad, just different. My stomach has had to get used to that), nothing for 6-7 more hours, and small dinner.
:'( Elise's tummy likes to be full. And so... Letty and I eat LOTS of fruit! And buy the bread for 1 Euro or less. Here we are, sneaking all of our fruit out of the house (not that we have to sneak it. Maria is the sweetest! She buys all the fruit we can eat :) Lucky us!):


The yellow ones are these delicious little plum things (my favorite) and the green ones are higos. Translation: figs! Letty and I LOVE these! Whodda thunk? Never had a real fig in my life. Now I have a tree of them growing in my backyard and a giant bowl in the fridge.
Oh, and need I tell you the big red one is a nectarine? Totes del del yo.

6: My throat is sore :( I know, you all ALMOST feel bad for me. Don't worry, I'll tough it out ;) But really, the air here is SO inundated with smoke from all of the cigarettes! And it just hurts hurts hurts to breathe. And then when you're starving it makes your stomach turn too. But I'm getting used to it. I told my mom I'll probably have inhaled so much cigarette smoke by the time I get home, I'll be needing a fix every couple of hours and have to follow the Taco Bell workers outside while they take a smoke. Gross. Oh. Example of how much Spaniard love things that gunk up their lungs and have labels that read: FUMAR MATA. Here's a pic:


Those are all cigars. Yes, even the giant one in the middle. 

Let's face it, it probably weighs as much as my right leg.

7: We went to La Puerta de Madrid! This is a giant arch that leads straight to Madrid if you go under it and follow it straight on through! Here we be:


Model shot.


¡Estoy Aquí!

8: Fun idea: Hike! We met at the chapel and walked our way all the way across town, all 15 of us (3 couldn't come :( ) and made our way up a little mountain, on a paved road.. by a dump... where there were no houses..... and only giant trucks going past..... and the word carreterra (highway) on the signs. Yeah, we thought we were in the wrong place. So, we turned around and went to the cemetery that was on the way instead. Turns out, we were in the right place, but next time we'll take the bus and make our way up there earlier. Pictures:


View of the city from the highway we were on.


Sweetie Julie whom I love :)


Yeah, can't believe this is part of my education. You can learn so much about culture from a cemetery! Look at all of those flowers. Amazing. I love the Spanish people.


Beautiful, no? A very reverent atmosphere.


The graves were put together in long blocks.


And what we believe is a mausoleum... Breathtaking. Loved this.

9: Today I learned how to make a Spanish Tortilla! Ready? Sweet Maria showed me how. 
              -Peel and slice into quarter or a little larger pieces 1 kilo of potatoes
              -Fry potatoes (do not stir or mash) in a substantial amount of olive oil in a sauce pan.
              -Add sliced onions (yum!)
              -Drain oil.
              -Mix 4 well-mixed eggs to the potatoes
              -Let cook for a few minutes, until more solidified
              -Flip onto plate, put oil in pan, put back in pan on other side.
              -Let cook, then flip.
        Done! Eat! And if you are us, you eat 1/4 of that baby. Talk about a lot of patatas. And olive oil. But mostly deliciosity!

10: Sauce Llorón. <Sa-oo-say Yo-rone> That's what they call Weeping Willows! These are my favorite trees and we pass tons on our way to school and back! And I simply love the name :)


Un Sauce Llorón


Me, in front of a sauce llorón.

11: I have a roommate who does push ups all the time. In class, after we get back from class, on walls when we are waiting to cross the crosswalk:



Yeah, she's a rockstar. Love her. Bradford does too.

12: Best Friday night of my life! We all got together and went out for tapas at Indalo, a super popular tapas bar here. Tapas, dessert, and I was officially inducted into the Club of True Taco Bell Fans, which I never knew I wasn't part of before. Ask me how you can get in too ;)


The club.


Flan! Had to try it. We're here, after all. Letty and I do well sharing all our food.


Completely delicious. But apparently not as good as Letty's Great Grandmother makes. Understandable. That's as close to the heartland as it gets ;)

13: I love the 4'4" band man that conducts the band. And guess who I saw walking through the plaza tonight?!!! I saw him! And so I ran after him yelling, "Señor! Perdón! Señor!" And I told him what I thought of him. I told him I had watched him every night directing the band, and I thought he was absolutely fabulous, and I loved watching him. And wanna know what he said back? 

I do too. Haha just kidding! He spoke with a very open and un-enunciated mouth and so it was a good thing I had my girls around me so we could all translate a little. 

However, here's the gist of it: He gave me a huge hug! And just talked and talked about how he would be conducting again tomorrow night and I should come. And he asked how long I would be here, and that if I came next year, would I please dance with him? YES! Too bad I most likely will not be here. But boy I love him. Wanna know something else? He gave me a big fat kiss on the hand, and all the other girls too, and then another bigger fatter kiss on my cheek. And he had the biggest smile on, and I got a picture with him, and I love him! Goal 1 accomplished: I got a kiss in Spain (Sorry about that one Dad, didn't want you to worry that was one of my goals) :) Happy!


Here's the nice man conducting tonight! Blurry, but I love it :)


My friend! He is JUST the sweetest. I adore him!!! Look at that smile! And that cutie hat! 
What a nice man with such a big heart :) Lucky me I got to meet him.


We were so happy- we heard a Frank Sinatra song walking out, and it was just the best night yet!

14: And there was actually a rather incredible event on the way home. It was very surprising to both of us, and Letty struggled to control herself, and I was lucky enough to get in her way when whatever happened happened! She is demanding privacy on the issue. And so, I respect her. Bradford... think about the conversation she had with you about what makes us walk faster on the way home, and how some exciting adventures come from her issue. Think.


Needless to say, attitudes changed, and we arrived home safely with a little bit more time to spare than we originally would have had. I love this girl, thank goodness... ;)

Talk about an unforgettable night. 










1 comment:

  1. I love those churros and chocolate! I miss them, but I think it's a good thing they are not here ;) Just looking at your pics brings back so many memories from 3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete