Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Gone like a Freight Train

Last night I went to see the one and only ridiculously handsome and incredibly charming Scotty McCreery. He sang the song I quoted in the title, and he also sang the song "Trouble with Girls" and said that the girls in California have been prettier than all the rest! HA! I don't believe it for a second! Because I know he was talking about me, and I am an Idaho girl!!! Okay that sounded conceited. Starstruck? Maybe. In love? Most definitely. I'm completely twitterpated. I love him. And he proposed- we're getting married! Just kidding.

It was an awesome concert, and yes I did go by myself! I read a statistic yesterday (imagine that, more statistics... they're everywhere. Did you know that 98% of Americans believe 73% of the statistics that they read?!) that said that 40% of Americans feel like Facebook makes them feel more lonely. So I decided I would go against that and show the world that it's not that lonely to do things on your own! I guess I've been doing that all summer, and yeah, it has gotten a little lonely at times, and I call my family a lot so that I feel like someone knows and cares about what I'm doing, but I also have learned that I have fun doing whatever I want and not worrying about always having someone to do things with. People in this world care so much about popularity. Who said high school ever ended? Down here I am being exposed to an environment of living it up as long as you can, and then settling down and having an 'unfashionable family' (as I've heard them called) while you are supposed to be slightly embarrassed as other people drive past in fancy sports cars without rings on their left finger. Everyone is concerned about looking good, being sexy ALL THE TIME (Super gross. It gets old, people. And frankly, people get old and still do it. It's awkward, and embarrassing), and fitting in- looking like they have a huge social life, ridiculously successful job, not a care or responsibility in the world, and lots of money to burn partying it up and living the life. I have learned that it seems to be the trend to try to go somewhere in this world. Well... I have decided I want to go somewhere, too. And that's the Celestial Kingdom, with an eternal family, a testimony and relationship with the Savior, friends on the other side, and the phrase, "Well done, my good and faithful servant," waiting for me when I get there. I want to be what He wants me to be. And so I will keep trying to be better than I am.

In the middle of the concert, I got a call from the one and only fantastically beautiful and superbly motivated Sister Brooke Millward. She called to say good bye. She is gone- on a plane and probably close to Georgia by now. It was weird, being hyped up in the middle of a concert and bawling like a baby at the same time. I am lucky enough to get to email her while she is gone, and so I will get to hear about her life in the London MTC for the next three weeks and be a whole lot more up to date than it would be with just snail mail. I was deifnitely emotionally unstable yesterday, and here I am today crying as I sing, "I have a family here on earth" to the Emeister as I lay him down for his morning nap. Poor little guy is stuck with a big boob all day long, and probably all week long, and let's just be honest, maybe for the next 7 weeks I am here. Brooke will be incredible- and her good friend will be keeping a blog with all of her emails, so it will be easy to check up on how she's doing. I love Brookie Cookie (or I guess Sister Millward at this point).

Saturday night I went to a San Diego Padres game (wait for it) WITH A FRIEND! I know! That is huge! I went to an event with someone else! HA! Eat that, statistics of loneliness! We sat right behind home plate, up pretty high, but we had an AWESOME view of the skyline and sunset. It was so fun! I was giddy with being at a sports event! I love going to games, and there is something super-de-duper special about a baseball game in the summertime. I got a Weinerschnitzel from the handsome Weinerschnitzel man who said he was considering playing football at Boise State (GO BRONCOS). I was quick to encourage him- they've got a good team, even I know that! Plus Boise's DA BOMB, if we're completely honest.

Sunday I wore my red high heels (mmm-hmm) and had the opportunity to go see my friend's grandmother become a priestess at her Korean church after I went to church in my ward. It was very... Korean. I didn't understand anything that was going on, haha, so I can't really say much about it! But it was a neat experience, and the choir and small orchestra made beautiful music that brought the Holy Spirit, even though I couldn't understand what was going on.

Monday, the Emeister got sick and I had to take him to the doctor. He got a bump on his head and then stopped eating and started having diarrhea (yes, I know you all wanted to know that. At least I wasn't talking about myself. That would be gross) so his parents were worried it was all connected. Anyways, he ended up being just fine, thank goodness, and I got some practice at being a mom in the doctor's office.

I finally got a new battery for my phone, and found a cover online for my Kindle Touch! I ordered it off of Etsy.com, a site that sells handmade and vintage items from around the world. I'm only a little super psyched that my cover is made exactly how I asked for it to be made, and coming to me straight from a shop in Barcelona. It's fine, I'm just peeing my pants because I get a taste of Spain before I even go!!! :DDDDD

I have a four mile run today, a cross training day tomorrow, and then Friday I go 8 miles. Whew! We'll see how it goes- I'm thinking I'll find a beach somewhere and run run run! Saturday I am going hiking and can't wait! Oh, and I FINALLY paid my tithing on Sunday. I've forgotten to bring my checkbook all summer, and I was so glad to get it paid and I feel great about having it done now. Whew :)

Okay. I love you all, and I would love to talk anytime :) Give me a call. Actually, maybe wait a couple of days- you'll just get a blubbering idiot who starts crying because of how loved and blessed I feel when you ask me how I'm doing (sorry about that yesterday, Miss Janena!). I truly am so blessed :) Stay happy, and I will too! Being happy and outgoing and making memories is not always easy, but I've learned that it is almost always worth the effort. And writing it down makes it so much sweeter to come back to later. Do it! And I will too! Promise! Love you. Talk to you soon <3

1 comment:

  1. You have the best attitude, Elise! So great that you are writing down all of these experiences. I had a wonderful time at Girls Camp with Rebekah and Callie...they were missing Brooke, too. Keep running! You can do it :)

    ReplyDelete