How sweet is that? So sweet! I made some friends today. I had the opportunity to go out on my own all day long in downtown/Old town Mexico here where we are. It was such a great experience! I am a professional at the Mexican bus system, I saw 8 foot tall sand castles and floating men/statues and a man with dreadlocks down to his calves playing the drums on a public trashcan, I used a public restroom *it costs money. Don't go in a public place in Mexico and ask to use the restroom. They'll look at you super weird and direct you to the closest public restroom that costs 5 pesos... not that I've experienced that...*, ate lunch at a table for one, on the sand, facing the ocean, sat in a Mexican Catholic wedding in a magnificent cathedral that was white and gold and beautiful, listened to a young boy's heavenly voice as he sang and played the accordion LIKE A BOSS, and said, "No, gracias" at least 490223 times.
My special friend, though, had her own shop. I was walking, looking for the cathedral, when I had passed her shop and suddenly decided turn around and ask for directions, and look around. I asked her if she had earrings, and she urgently grabbed a small bag, showing me the contents, and saying she could make more, it could match a necklace, etc etc. I asked her how much they cost, and she told me (about 10 US dollars). I realized at that point that I needed more cash, and I felt that I should buy something from her, considering she was also kind enough to give me directions to the cathedral. I left quickly and got money from an ATM, and when I returned I looked around some more, saying I wanted something to remind me of the trip to this place. She said yes yes and showed me some other items. I saw a painted sun that I loved, and she said, "I will give you all these items for_____"
If you know me well, you know I'm awful at making decisions, and I knew I couldn't spend very much because I need to save save save!!! I told her this, and she again lowered the price. I explained that I am a student, and she asked a little about my life. I asked about hers, and she explained that she is renting this shop for $3000 pesos a month, and she actually worked the beach for 12 years but that is what her husband does now. She has 2 children, both preteen boys, and she was married at age 16. She explained to me how her mom didn't know she had a boyfriend because the dating customs in her little far off village are so different from the ones I'm used to. She said sometimes she doesn't get any buyers all day, and she said it's very expensive to live.
Some of you may be thinking right now that she possibly was trying to trick me into buying more- I don't care. She was very sincere. She was sweet, and I could see in her face the child of God that she is. She is so valuable to Him. We sat and talked as I chose which items I wanted, and I ended up buying all three for about $200 pesos. She made me the earrings special. I paid her, and then I gave her another $20 pesos, and said, "Para los niños." Surprised, she thanked me, and I left.
After walking for about 10 minutes, honestly I was feeling bad because I had hardly given her anything for her kids. About then I realized I wanted some words painted on the object I bought, so I turned around, and walked all the way back. I showed up one more time and asked for her to paint the words on. She agreed and set to work, bringing over another object with the same two words on it to look at as she painted. It took her about 15 minutes. Some tourists came in while she was painting and we were talking and they said, "Oh this is so fun!" (talking about little authentic Mexican shops), and then, after picking up an object and laughing, "Wow, that thing is so ugly for how long it must have taken to make." I was grateful when my friend looked at me and said, "I hardly speak English." She continued her work, and when she finished, she looked at me, embarrassed, and said, "I've never studied. Not even elementary school. My letters are ugly, I'm sorry." I took the object, and I said as I looked at the letters she had painstakingly formed around the edge of the sun's face, "I love your letters. I think they are pretty." And they are. I love them. I gave her another $50 pesos and said, "For your work, and help. Thank you so much." She looked at me with wide eyes and thanked me for the money, and then bashfully said, "Well, it's my job..." and after a pause and with a smile, "Puedes tener pulsera. Si, cualquiera que te gusta. Como regalo, para tí." ("You can have a bracelet. Yes, whichever one you like. As a gift, for you.") My smile grew huge! She was so kind! And I thanked her, and she gave met he prettiest colorful pulsera, the one I had looked at when I first came in. As I chose it and thanked her and then said goodbye, she said, "Adios, amiga." I have been called friend many times, but it seemed to mean quite a bit more this time- she considers me a friend, and I feel love for her that's almost inexplicable, except for the fact that I know she is a hard worker, a humble, noble, and strong daughter of God who is trying so hard to raise a family. I am grateful, and blessed, to have met her, and count her as friend.
Interesting what incredible things you can learn in the smallest, most humble of locations :) I am grateful to have been taught today. I am praying for her and her family tonight. You should too :) She is special. I love you! Talk to you soon.
Brought tears to my eyes :) I love you sweet girl, and miss our visit teaching times where I could hear you bear your sweet, sincere and powerful testimony. <3
ReplyDeleteWell said, Megan. :) Oh Elise, what a powerful tool of happiness and goodness you are. Thank you for your example. I love you so much!
ReplyDeleteHola ;) Oh my dear Elise! I speak on behalf of all the S. Familia when I say I love you! We all read your blog as part of our Sunday ritual...smack dab in the middle of daily scripture study and Once Upon a Time! I think you are amazing and am so excited to hear more about all of the wonderful people you are meeting and the wonderful experiences you are having. You are such an incredible person and I look up to you so much. Thank you for sharing your spirtual experiences because they have really humbled me and strengthened me.
ReplyDeleteLove Stanga's and especially Rackel ;) and my blog? yah it's awesome. Thanks for that opportunity ;)
Oh Rackel!!! I am so honored to be part of the S familia ritual!!! I miss and love you all so much. I cannot wait to be with you all again :) You are amazing too my friend, and I am grateful to count you as one of my very favorites :) I love you!!!
Delete