Friday, May 18, 2012

Rain as it rests over the ocean

Gray, everywhere. Foggy, heavy skies that weigh on the water as foam crashes gently against the rocks and sandy shore. A black cliff in the distance, a sheer drop from 200 feet. Nearby, a family dressed in white tops and blue jeans take pictures against the rocks with the sea in the background. The sand dances in between your toes and over your feet- colored silver and tan. The air smells of the ocean, and it is so wet it seems to slide down your throat when you breathe in.
Behind you, a large building, Victorian in style, with red rooftops and white washed walls, it reigns over the landscape. People come and go; tourists and employees dressed in vintage hotel uniforms. You can almost see the stories of history leaking out between the slats of the building, it's so inundated with time and people.
And you, alone. Your thoughts are silent, the world is tranquil, and you have a chocolate bar in hand.

Wow, it was magic. Today was magic- that's all I can say.

How many times in your life do you have the opportunity to simply be? And to do with your time exactly what you please? I got off work at noon, and then, I laid in my bed. For 2 hours. I read Daughters in my Kingdom, I slept, and then... I took off.

No timeline, no obligations. Just me, the car, the ocean, and all of San Diego for me to choose from. And I chose Coronado Island, and the Hotel del Coronado. There was a vintage shop there- I spent at least an hour just drinking in all of the items they had there. I loved it- they had the types of things that exist just to be pretty. It was so nice to just appreciate beauty. I found one quote that I absolutely adore, and it fits my day perfectly, especially since I was able to skype with Herald and Geraldine (ha I hope you like your new names ladies!!!) tonight:

"Being wealthy is when there's time to watch the sun set, when there's a glimpse of the wind moving across the field, when all that matters is hearing waves and seeing stars, and most of all, when there's one very good friend."

Talk about living, huh? No matter what is going on in my life, I always make time for that sun set. And it makes life so much more beautiful to really look when wind makes wheat dance. It so true- this quote is so true. It's lovely :)

The other day, I found a little hand shovel that would have been useless in the garden- but it was pretty. It was ceramic and had a blue floral print all over it. I wanted to buy it for my momma, but since I am trying so hard to save, I didn't. But it's that kind of thing that is fun to appreciate :)

Two more quotes I found from things in that shop:
"I have found that if you love life, life will love you back."
-Arthur Rubinstein
and on the front of my new scripture notebook
"Let other pens dwell on pain and misery."
-Jane Austen

Oh, and I had to laugh today as I was driving back to the house and there was a giant flashing sign on the side of the road that completely grabbed my attention. I stopped looking at the road and was staring at the sign for at least 3 whole seconds because I suddenly had giant yellow words yelling in my face: FOCUS ON DRIVING. HANDS FREE MEANS NO HANDS.

Thank you, San Diego Police Department, for almost causing me to wreck as you told me I needed to be a safe driver. I appreciate the thought- now work on the execution. That is all.




No comments:

Post a Comment