Thursday, May 24, 2012

Talk about a learning experience

EBaby is such a little stinker. This boy is soooo tired but he refuses to nap for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time! I'm telling you, if someone was telling me to nap twice a day, I would have no trouble accepting the challenge. Bring it on. I'm in this for the win. In fact, tell me three times a day and I got it, no problem.

I woke up this morning with a heavy mind. Haha poor thing is overweight. Just kidding! I crack myself up. Okay anyways... I wasn't feeling all happy and I couldn't get myself to shut up, if you know what I mean ;)
I determined to study the scriptures, hardcore, during EBaby's frist nap. I pulled myself together, and was ready to start studying by about 20 minutes in to his nap, and then... he woke up. Stink it all! So while we gelled in our jammies downstairs, I went onto LDS.org and put on the first session of conference this last April. We were listening, and I was debating after about an hour and a half if I should turn on the daily Gilmore Girls (a little obsessed) but decided to finish out the session.On comes President Uchtdorf who says, "Our concluding speaker today will be President Henry B Eyring, first counselor in teh First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." Sounds pretty good, no? And boy was I glad I stuck with the session to the end.

President Eyring's words spoke exactly to me, in my situation. I wrote a while ago about being worried about being the only one here with my standards, being all alone, etc. I have to admit, my mind wears itself out worrying that I won't be good enough or up to the task. And here I was, waking up this morning feeling downtrodden, feeling like my faith was not sufficient to last such a long time in a household where there is alcohol and coffee and tea, and movie and tv standards are for me to decide completely, and I am the only one who must continuously and politely refuse and live how I have been taught, with no one to know but me if I am living how I should be. Here's what President Eyring said,
"Many of you are now passing through physical, mental, and emotional trials that could cause you to cry out as did one great and faithful servant of God I knew well. His nurse heard him exclaim from his bed of pain, “When I have tried all my life to be good, why has this happened to me?”
You know how the Lord answered that question for the Prophet Joseph Smith in his prison cell:
“And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.
“The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?
“Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."
President Eyring went on to say a few things to the effect of being tried and then our testimony comes, and I felt the Spirit say that the Lord is with me always. I was given a few priesthood blessings before I left Provo behind and in every one of them, I was told that the Lord will be with me and watch over me always, no matter where in the world I am.
I have to admit, I had forgotten.

But He hadn't.

And here I am, with peace in mmy heart and my parents and family right behind me as I try to figure it all out and become exactly what the Lord would have me be. And He is with me, even though I feel like it's difficult, he knows. And he has prepared these trials for me, so I can grow. And I will not let them pull me down- I will grow with the trials and become who he wants me to be. I love the Lord, and I love the gospel. I know it is true. I know he is aware of us, and we are not alone. And I know he wants to hear us, if we will only talk to him with sincerity and honesty. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

PS I also learned today that you can buy 2 for $10 fabulous sunglasses at Postal Annex! Whoddathunk? Not me! And here I was wasting time looking at hideous ones at the CVS Pharmacy. Geez... glad we got THAT over with ;P I bought two pairs. They're incredibly attractive, and ridiculously inexpensive. It's amazing. That is all. Love you all, and miss you most likely ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment